I’ll admit, like many young people in Britain today I do not see myself as a sustainable person. I see a sustainable person as someone who not only cares about the planet and making it better for our future but actually does something about it. Yes, I do try to turn the lights off before I leave the house and turn the plugs off at the wall but that is more about trying to save my student loan rather than the planet.
In theory to try and aim towards a more sustainable lifestyle I could use public transport more often than I do now. I live in the North West of England if I wanted to live sustainably I could use the train to visit home from University rather than a lift. However the expenses of doing this on a student loan prevent me from putting the effort into this way of life. I do however try to walk a lot instead of using the buses but I the reasons for doing this are also to save money not to save the planet.
There are small changes that everyone could do to try and live a more sustainable way of life. Recycling instead of just throwing everything into the rubbish is a much better way of managing waste. This way we do not have to get resources straight from the ground as much as we used to we can re use the ones we have as well. It is a cheaper, cleaner, and more sustainable way of using resources. There is not much in the way of us doing this as all over Britain the councillors have provided recycle boxes that are collected right from our houses.
Living a sustainable way of life should be made a priority in young people’s lives after all it’s not just our children, according to some scientists, who will suffer due to the changing climate but it is us too. As a young adult I feel it is my duty to help save the earth by small things but for many of us this is so far into the future it is not worth worrying about.


No comments:
Post a Comment