About Me

My photo
Southport, United Kingdom
I am a Geography student and I want to see the whole world :)

Thursday, 25 March 2010

.What main concerns do you have that may influence your vote?What is your attitude concerning people who are not planning to vote in the general election?




I live in Southport which is in the North West of England. It is a borough constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. My area is represented by John Pugh our local MP; he is a member of the Liberal Democrat Party which is the party that politically dominates Southport. The name of my local council is Sefton Metropolitan Borough Council.

In our area the liberal democrats are the main party that people vote for however the conservative (Tories) party follow closely behind. The main influence that has my vote is this. I believe that the Labour party are the way forward in the UK. I am a lefty and therefore think that the Labour party should be in power however as my area does not vote for labour I believe this would be a wasted vote. Therefore I vote for the liberal democrats, I don’t think these should be in power but if I want to keep the Tories out, which I do, and then I have to out vote them with the Liberal democrats.

I believe in the Labour party because although they have higher taxes and its sort of a take from the rich and give to the poor I think that they want the best for everybody in the country. The Conservative Party believe that the rich should be richer and the poor should look after themselves. There are many things about all of the parties that I disagree with but overall I think that Labour should be in power. They do not want to privatise companies so that they can become wealthy businesses with extortionate prices like the Conservative Party has done before whilst they were in power. I can think of nothing worse than the Tories party getting into power and although they got this country back on its feet once before there is no reason for them now.

As for people who do not choose to vote I think this is very sad especially for women and men of a different race than White British. This is due to the struggle that these people faced trying to get the vote. In the 1920’s when women were fighting so hard for the vote men believed that women shouldn’t have a say in their own country due to reasons such as their brains weren’t as big as men’s or they should be concerned with what happens in the home rather than out of it. These were the women that kept this country still going by working when all the young men were sent off to war. As this struggle that the suffragettes faced, even going to prison in some cases, was so hard this is the reason that I and all women and men should vote. A lot of women risked a lot of their lives, in some cases even dying, for women to be counted as equal which is why I shall be voting in 2010.

2 comments:

  1. Some Great points. With the Election being so close I think the liberal democrats may be a party to look at if a hung parliament occur. Both parties will have to look at the liberal democrats for support. As for people not voting I to think its it is a disgrace however did not think about the women and people of different races who have suffered and sacrificed so much to obtain a vote which some people take for granted. Although I am a fellow lefty I believe that Labour, conservative or any other party that you may support it is your duty to vote and have a say in your society .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you

    You made a good point that whatever part you choose to support you need to have a vote.
    It is a least a thank you to all the people that worked so hard for us.

    ReplyDelete