About Me

My photo
Southport, United Kingdom
I am a Geography student and I want to see the whole world :)

Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Is there really a transport problem? Do the benefits of motorized transport outweigh the costs? Are there any minor (or perhaps major) changes you personally feel could make our present transport system more sustainable?


In nearly all cities across the UK there is a ‘transport problem’; this is because there are at certain times of the day there are too many cars on the road causing traffic congestion. Congestion causes many problems within the UK such as air pollution which is not very good for trying to keep our world a little more sustainable.

Although we do have a problem with congestion in Britain today its not enough of a major problem in that we aren’t going to drastically change the way we live to stop traffic jams. The main reason for people using public transport is not to prevent this but to try and stop poisoning our atmosphere with pollution caused by caused. Therefore the benefits of motorised transport outweigh the costs.

Transport has had a major influence on economic and social development with importing and exporting goods and people commuting. Since the 1920’s when Henry Ford invented the assembly line for the first Ford car there is greater accessibility, mobility, and communication has shaped the type of global society we live in today.

As a nation we would rather drive or take lifts then use public transport or even walk. Generally we rely on cars to get from place to place which is a negative way to think about transport facilities as there are more options for people who only want to travel on their own such as walking, using a bike or the bus.

There are changes that everyone can make to make their lives a little more sustainable. I use the bus whenever I want to get into the town in Northampton. As I live only 25 minute walking distance from the town and work in Southport I walk into town then. However I can still make changes to my lifestyle in a minor way as I could ride a bike etc instead of relying on lifts from my family. As I don’t drive yet I can’t change my life much more although I am going to learn to drive summer 2010 which will make a major difference and my life will be a lot more unsustainable as I will be using the car rather than public transport or walking.

2 comments:

  1. Some very good points here. I agree with your point about most people rather take the car than using public transport as i would as well. I belive congestion will always be a problem unless radical change is done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some good points here. I especially agree with the point you made about most of the nation would rather use the car than public transport especially as im one of those people. I belive traffic congestion will only improve if radical changes are made

    ReplyDelete