Cultural festivals such as Christmas are often defined as excess and a waste of electric, paper, money, food etc. Everybody who celebrates Christmas over spends, over eats and it is a time of self indulgence this however is usually seen as part of the Christmas tradition. Many people celebrate Christmas as the birth of Jesus and the beginning of Christianity although other people just see it as a festival. It did first originate from a Greek festival Saturnalia where the whole point of the festival was to over indulgence. Over indulgence meant wealth in ancient times which may be where our over doing everything at Christmas came from. Whether people celebrate it because of religious reasons or just because it’s a widely celebrated festival I believe that we should be able to celebrate how we like. Yes, Christmas is not a very sustainable festival but for once a year people should be able to not care about sustainability and get on with enjoying life.
Since the hype of global warming and climate change the public constantly have this dread of the sea covering all land, the world becoming a big ball of gas etc. This is a good thing because with this dread of humans affecting the atmosphere makes us change our daily lives. We recycle, insulate our houses, turn off the electric, and gas where possible. Even if humans are not affecting global warming recycling is helping the atmosphere as we are slowing down our use of resources that we are quickly running out of. However with this constant thought of saving the atmosphere I think Christmas should be a time where we forget about all this and have a good time without worrying what we are doing to the atmosphere.
I think the world has already changed into a more sustainable way of life and it has not affected the celebrations of Christmas or other festivals yet. Personally I do not believe that humans are the sole cause or even affect climate change however I do think that we could run out of our resources which could bring about a panic. This would affect all of our daily lives and if we did have a mass shortage or run out it would affect our festivals including Christmas.
Since the hype of global warming and climate change the public constantly have this dread of the sea covering all land, the world becoming a big ball of gas etc. This is a good thing because with this dread of humans affecting the atmosphere makes us change our daily lives. We recycle, insulate our houses, turn off the electric, and gas where possible. Even if humans are not affecting global warming recycling is helping the atmosphere as we are slowing down our use of resources that we are quickly running out of. However with this constant thought of saving the atmosphere I think Christmas should be a time where we forget about all this and have a good time without worrying what we are doing to the atmosphere.
I think the world has already changed into a more sustainable way of life and it has not affected the celebrations of Christmas or other festivals yet. Personally I do not believe that humans are the sole cause or even affect climate change however I do think that we could run out of our resources which could bring about a panic. This would affect all of our daily lives and if we did have a mass shortage or run out it would affect our festivals including Christmas.


I agree with how you have said for one day we can relax "without worrying what we are doing to the atmosphere". There is to much in the news about global warming and how much recyling people do, so for one day a year lets self indulge :)
ReplyDelete